Saturday, we started decorating for the New Years Eve party at 8:00 am, and spent a good part of the day doing that, and the decorations were quite spectacular! (The islanders teased that we could have used more bright colors!) The party was amazing and wonderful. We can’t believe the participation and fun that they have. Over 100 people of all ages,(age 1 to 85!) all dancing and laughing and loving each other from 7 pm til 11:45. Probably 15-20 non-members came. Different families performed their native dances throughout the evening. Brother DeOcampo and Brother Afu were the dj's and did a very good and loud job! Then many helped clean it all up, and we were home by 12:15. I am sure it was the only party in Ashburton without alcohol, and by far the most fun party! These wonderful people know how to have fun!! The expression “no worries” has more meaning all the time. They don’t worry too much, about the details, and it all works out beautifully. At first people started bringing mostly deserts, and I wondered if there would be enough of things, but there were "heaps" and lots of variety, in the end. I was concerned that there were only about 20 little teaspoons and only 2 serving spoons. But when I ask, I was told, "it will be all right." About 10 min later, a lady walked in with a bag full of plastic forks, that was left from another time. No one knew she was bringing them, and she had not been ask to bring them. It's just astounding how things work out! And 2 serving spoons managed to serve 4 tables full of food! It's all quite a miracle!
No comments:
Post a Comment