Last night the Timeru elders called and said the lady that they had ask us to visit in Geraldine, came to church and brought her whole family! They were pretty excited about that!
We had such a great weekend - Saturday, when we went to do the English class at the church, we were early, so we went across the street to a little "chocolate and gift" shop! I picked out some blank cards to write thank yous on, and the lady ask us about our church across the street, because of our name badges. Dad started to tell her about our church, and ask her if she would like to know more. She said yes she would!! So he kept talking to her - I had to go to my class. She said she had been going to some other church, but didn't feel like it was right, and was wanting to find another one. Dad gave her a booklet about the Plan of Salvation, she said she would read it, and for us to stop over again. (She didn't let Dad pay for over $20 worth of stuff we were buying!!)
Saturday morning I was feeling kind of panicy about what to teach at the English class. I had prayed and gotten some children's books from the library with cd, and Sister Ede had downloaded onto a cd, I Nephi. But didn't feel like it was enough. I wanted to contact Natalie or Heidi who had both taught English in foreign countries, but didn't have phone numbers. I tried to find them, and finally got on facebook and told Heidi to call me. A few minutes later she did!!! She told me that they taught the little 4 &5 yr old kids, by role playing and explained how. I got thinking that that was exactly what these ladies wanted - to know how to express themselves - like how to conduct, pray, bear testimony, etc. (one lady just got put in the RS presidency). So I typed out 3 sheets for each person. One was what you would say and do if you were to conduct, one on if you wanted to bear your testimony, and one on prayer. I told them that they would speak from their heart, but these were some things they could practice saying. A non member was there, and she said she practiced in front of a mirror and that helped her get confidence. (She is also very interested in the church!!)
We also listen and followed along with Chpt 1 of BofM. At the end of class, the lady said thank you so much - I have to conduct for the first time tomorrow in RS and this will help me! I felt like Heavenly Father was so aware of us - to have Heidi call with idea, and so I had time to get the pages ready - to help this sweet sister. (By the way - she did a great job on Sunday!!
At Sacrament meeting, (the most they had usually have is 100 or so people) - they had 138 people!!
There were people everywhere!! The stake president, Pres McDonald and his wife were there and they both spoke. We were so happy to hear and meet them, because they are going to be release this next Sunday. Very sweet and wonderful people who have had incredible trials since the earthquake.
After church we went up to Rakai, and met with the McGoons, and taught her a real lesson on the Plan of Salvation! It was our first missionary lesson - very out of our comfort zone, but we felt pretty good about it. We thought her husband would have told her about us coming (he invited us) but he kind of sprung it on her at the last minute, and she wasn't as ready as we would have hoped. But she was ok, and I think they will have us come again. We said some important things that hopefully she'll think about. We left her the booklet on the Plan of Salvation too. Excellent little booklet!
Sunday night, we had our temple prep class and Dad did a good job. We had 3 more people come who ask to be part of the class. It was a good evening! In all we are doing, we feel that the Lord is blessing and helping us know what to do and say. Carry on and try not to panic!
So fun to read this, but are you saying there are some moments of panic? We really love you guys and are so proud of you. Sounds like a wonderful adventure and I'm sure you are helping so much.
ReplyDelete